Monday, October 29, 2012

Have you learned anything?

Blogging every day is A LOT of work!  It's hard to find the time each and every day to sit down and think of something valuable to say and put it into words that hopefully people will read.  October is the only month where I commit myself to do this, because it's that important to me.  I spend most of my free time in October researching, writing, taking pictures and piecing it all together in the hopes that someone will learn something new about Down syndrome.  I don't have all the answers myself.  I learn new things about Down syndrome, and just about respecting other people's differences, all the time.  My hope in posting for Down syndrome awareness month, is that people realize that more than anything, it's ok to be different.  We all have different strengths and weaknesses and just because someone doesn't fit your definition of "normal", doesn't mean that they don't deserve the same respect that you would want as a human being. 

Sophia is one of the greatest gifts God has ever given to me.  She has taught me more than I could ever teach her.  She is exactly who she was meant to be.  She has a purpose in life.  She brings more smiles to my face and laughter to my voice then I could ever imagine.  She loves me for who I am, not for who she wants me to be.  She is full of life and carefree.  She has an innocence to her that I'm sure will stay with her for a very long time.  She is beautiful both on the inside and out.  She is non-judgemental.  She has a heart that is way too big for that little chest of hers.  She is a lover through and through.  She can forgive and forget and allows people second chances, even when they don't deserve them.  She is my angel here on earth.  She was purposefully made to change the minds and hearts of people who can't see past this false definition of perfect.

The Creed of Babies with Down Syndrome
My face may be different, but my feelings the same
I laugh and I cry and I take pride in my gains
I was sent here among you, to teach you to love
As God in the heavens, looks down from above
To Him I am no different, his love knows no bounds
It's those here among you, in cities and towns
That judge me by standards, that man has imparted
But this family I've chosen, will help me get started
For I'm one of the children, so special and few
That came here to learn, the same lessons as you
That love is acceptance, it comes from the heart
We all have the same purpose, though not from the start
The Lord gave me life, to love and embrace
And I'll do as you do, but at my own pace
- author unknown   
 



No comments:

Post a Comment