Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Growing Up

Another post I wrote while waiting at the doctor's office.....apparently that's where I get my motivation to write!

Babies grow up so fast.  Before you know it, your precious little bundle of joy is walking, talking, and going off to school.  It all happens at warp speed, leaving the parents thinking, when did my baby grow up?

I've experienced these feelings, going on twice now.  Developmentally, everything happening right on time, or early.  Leaving me feeling like my baby turned into a toddler then a young kid, overnight.  Sometimes I miss those precious early years.  The unconditional love you get.  The innocence of never being exposed to everything that's wrong with the world.  The acceptance of anyone  and everyone, because you don't know what it means to pass judgement on others.  The ability to "turn the other cheek" and forgive, even when you shouldn't.  The beauty of little kids, is amazing.

One of my children has lead me down a slower path, shown me the scenic route, on this long journey of raising kids.  I've gotten to experience the baby years a little longser, and the toddler years too.  Even the terrible twos, and threes, and fours, and fives.  Some days I'm thankful for the extra time I get to cuddle, my not so much a baby anymore.  In the hurry up and go, go, go of life, I feel thankful for the reminder to slow down, and that not everything has to be exactly like we expect it to be.  But there are days too where I wish we were done with some of the stuff that at five years old, you're suppose to be over with.  Because even when I'm being reminded to slow down and appreciate the beauty of things happening in their own time, I'm also reminded that I'm an impatient person.  I just want things to be easy, all the time.  I mean really, that's why I had kids, to make my life easier.  

Then "it" happens.  That thing that I've been wishing we would overcome and be over with, is gone.  Another skill, milestone, conquered!  And that feeling, in that moment when you realize, she's growing up, is AMAZING!  I am so proud, every day.  There are GREAT things in store for this little one's future, and I can't wait to see it all unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment